How many generations are represented where you work? What are you missing if you can’t communicate well with everyone? Our inter-generational communication training course strengthens individuals and teams to improve collaboration, think outside ageist boxes, achieve more professional success, and experience greater personal satisfaction and influence.
Each generation brings diverse perspectives and distinct communication styles that affect teamwork, achieving goals, and even work satisfaction.
Yet too often we get stuck in stereotypes and frustrated at our differences. As a result, employees, volunteers, or even customers feel like they aren’t valued. They disengage, and they even leave. And just think how much time and financial investment it takes to replace an employee or volunteer.
“When generations interact, cultures tend to flourish.”Mary Pipher, Women Rowing North
In The Clapping Oak’s Cross-Generational Communication training, you will deepen your understanding of diverse team members to find common ground, draw on the strengths of people from diverse seasons of life and form stronger teams. Tools learned will be useful at work but also in families, other settings, and other types of diversity.
“After the workshop, that very same day I used something I had learned with a new employee.”Jason, bank branch manager
“I thought I knew communication because I’m a seasoned business professional. But the training was life-changing.”Rachel, medical practice office manager
Our communication training team
Each event features at least two presenters from our multi-generational team. Because we don’t just preach what we teach — we practice it!
Carol Willis owns The Clapping Oak, a business that provides communication training, consulting, and writing services to organizations and individuals. A seasoned Baby Boomer, her perspective is long and holistic, combining experience with vision. She enjoys and benefits from the energy and creativity of colleagues of all ages.
Julianna Nelson founded Phillinnova, a nonprofit consultancy, to work with social impact leaders interested in using their creativity, curiosity and vision to innovate their processes and strategies and create more collaborative, equitable and impactful organizations. As an entrepreneurially minded Gen X’er, she embraces the opportunity to bridge differences and promote effective communication as the key to creating successful teams.
Laura Willetto is a content strategist at SE2, a Denver communications firm that works with nonprofits and cause-oriented groups to make a difference around important issues. A proud Millennial, she has seen the power of her generation to bring energy to work environments, while listening to and learning from colleagues and mentors of various life stages.
Allison Dye works as a project manager and handles social media and web presence at Valet, a professional WordPress website development and support company. Allie grew up between continents and is bilingual. Her skill at using language to bridge divides has grown from her multi-cultural experiences as well as her certification as an ESL teacher. Her Gen Z voice and vitality round out our perspective on the potential of age-inclusive teams.
In this workshop we will:
- Survey the currently accepted definitions of generations–Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, Baby Boomers–and poke some holes in those definitions
- Identify communication challenges
- Highlight the potential of generational synergy
- Identify strategies for improving your team’s communication
- Promote a plan of action that nurtures a culture of respect and ongoing learning from each other as opposed to reinforcing ageism.
- Until further notice, training is available digitally only.
- Sessions are interactive, with a mix of presentation and participation, including opportunities to learn from each other and practice communication strategies. Recording is optional.
- Who is it for? Staff and volunteers at all levels of seniority and authority will benefit from this workshop.
Sign up today!
- Book the course for your organization’s team. Contact us for more information about customization, scheduling options, and price.